Thursday, June 25, 2015

Lemon-Ricotta Pasta with Seared Scallops

After watching Hell’s Kitchen and see everyone mess up scallops, I figured I’d have my go at them. Crumb had what seemed like an easy enough recipe for a newbie scallop chef. I will honestly say that I didn’t do much better than the people on the show. The lemon ricotta pasta was pretty good. Although I was not particularly a fan of the texture the ricotta gave to the pasta.

Overall, my family really enjoyed the dish, even though the scallops weren’t entirely cooked properly. Based on how expensive scallops, the difficulty in cooking them and my personal dislike of the ricotta pasta texture, this recipe will not be repeated in this California kitchen.

I don’t however discourage others from trying it. As I said, others liked it despite the slightly underdone scallops. I can only imagine how much they would have loved it if the scallops were cooked to perfection.

What You Need
  • 1 box fettuccine pasta
  • 12 large fresh sea scallops
  • 4 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 4 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced
  • Sea salt
  • Ground black pepper
  • 1 tub (475g) ricotta cheese

How You Make It
1. Cook the pasta per package directions until al dente.

2. Rinse scallops and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

3. In a skillet heat butter and 1 Tbsp olive oil and butter over high heat until foamy.

4. Place scallops in skillet in single layer.

5. Cook, turning once, until brown on outside and just opaque in center, about 2 minutes per side.

6. Remove from pan and set aside.

7. Drain pasta and return to the pot over low heat.

8. Stir in lemon zest, juice, remaining 3 Tbsp olive oil, and thyme.

9. Toss to coat and season with salt and pepper.

10. Gently mix in the ricotta until pasta is coated evenly.

11. Divide pasta between four plates and serve with three scallops on top.


Formatted PDF of Recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment