Monday, September 21, 2015

Best Chocolate Chip Cookie: A Battle Royale

There is nothing quite like eating a warm chocolate chip cookie fresh from the oven. Especially with a cold glass of milk to wash it down. It used to be that I would just flip over the Nestle chocolate chip bag and follow the classic recipe. Things are different these days though; I have Pintrest. Throughout my years on Pintrest I have pinned and purged numerous chocolate chip cookie recipes. Four recipes that have managed to stick around are claimed to be “The Best Ever” or “Award Winning”. I’ve had each of them before and they are all delicious. Problem is that I only ever made one at a time. I would do my best to remember what the others were like; try to decide which one was the best. Of course as soon as I bit into a cookie all the other recipes seemed inferior to that tasty morsel I was enjoying at that moment. Finally I decided to remedy this debate and set about to make my chocolate chip cookie competition. Our competitors specialties: cornstarch, cake flour, Bisquick and vanilla pudding mix. Not surprisingly the cookie dough testing also resulted in the same preference order.

Cornstarch reigned over all. Described as sweet, buttery, chewy and moist. They didn’t sink in like the classic recipe from the back of the chocolate chip bag. This cookie maintained a remarkable balance between density and fluffiness.


Vanilla pudding mix followed so closely behind that the two almost tied for first. The reason for coming second was because some of my testing subjects found the vanilla pudding mix cookies a bit too sweet. These were described as moist and oily, gooey but not sticky, and classic. My sister’s boyfriend even commented “That one was spot on!”

Cake flour didn’t place too far behind the others. They were still fantabulous, just not quite as much so as the previously mentioned two. There was a good weight and crunch to the cookie; as well as buttery with a smooth finish. My mother has a tendency to prefer more crunchy cookies so described it as a better texture.

Bisquick came in last by a decent amount. They weren’t bad, but the Bisquick flavor was very apparent. They were doughy, yet still somehow managed to dry out your mouth.




So, when all is said and done the Cornstarch Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe is the way to good. Not only was the dough delicious, but the cookies are top notch. Hard to beat!

No comments:

Post a Comment